Virtual Puppet Practitioner
Virtual Puppet Practitioner
Learn how to design and build modules following best practices, extend modules from the Forge and develop best practices for implementing roles and profiles.
In this three day course, students will learn multiple ways to accomplish tasks in Puppet and how to choose which is most appropriate for a given situation. Students will design and build modules, and extend modules from the Forge. Students will also learn best practices for implementing Roles & Profiles in their infrastructure.
After completing this course students will show a mastery of the Puppet DSL and common design patterns providing them with solutions for problem solving techniques and a better understanding of Puppet Best Practices.
- More advanced Puppet DSL constructs that can be used to write more elegant code.
- Using data structures to create resources programmatically.
- Using custom facts to expose information about nodes.
- The concepts of modularity and composability and how they refer to module design.
- Methods for testing your Puppet code and infrastructure.
- Using MCollective from the command line to automate infrastructure orchestration.
- Troubleshooting techniques and standard log files.
- The Roles & Profiles design pattern and the benefits it offers.
- Several different methods for managing portions of files.
- Why the Anchor Pattern exists and when one should use it or the `contain()` function.
- Creating generalizable modules and contributing them back to the community via the Puppet Forge.
- Sharing functionality between classes using inheritance.
In this course, we expect attendees to have a solid understanding of configuration management strategies. You should have taken Puppet Fundamentals or have 6+ months of experience using Puppet.
Have the Training VM downloaded to your computer before you show up. We will run through the configuration and installation for this VM in class, so it is not necessary to boot it up prior to class. Just make sure that it's on your computer and you know how to start it.
If you prefer to learn from the Windows perspective, you may provide your own VM instead. It should be Windows Server 2012 or greater.
- Public: $2,400 USD
- Private: Request a Quote
Prefer an in-person class? Check out Puppet Practitioner to see the next time we're offering a class near you.
Find a Class or see the full class schedule below:
Instructor-led online training
|Location||May 2017||Jun 2017||Jul 2017||Aug 2017||Sep 2017||Oct 2017||Nov 2017||Dec 2017||Jan 2018|
|US East - Virtual Classroom||
Jun 6 – Jun 8|
Jun 20 – Jun 22
Jul 11 – Jul 13|
Jul 18 – Jul 20
Oct 17 – Oct 19||
Nov 13 – Nov 15||
Jan 9 – Jan 11
|US West - Virtual Classroom||
Jun 20 – Jun 22||
Aug 22 – Aug 24||
Dec 12 – Dec 14|
|EMEA - Virtual Classroom||
Sep 12 – Sep 14|