Virtual Puppet Architect
Virtual Puppet Architect
Learn practical skills used to architect Puppet infrastructure and to understand interactions between different components. This course is also taught as a remote in-person class, while the instructor is teaching in a classroom face to face, so users can remotely participate in an in-person class.
This two-day course is designed to provide practical skills used to architect Puppet infrastructure and to understand interactions between different components. The class will focus on the architecture of Puppet Enterprise itself, giving students the ability to determine the most efficient and extensible architecture to scale Puppet to their own needs with API integration and monitoring to support its growth.
After completing this course students will be able to architect a robust Puppet infrastructure integrated with external tooling and scale up to meet growing business demands. They will be able to evaluate design patterns and workflow alternatives and develop policies that work well for their own organization.
- Designing and implementing an efficient development workflow.
- Designing complex Hiera datasource hierarchies.
- Sharing data between nodes via exported resources.
- Using MCollective from the command line to automate infrastructure orchestration.
- Estimating the number of nodes their Master(s) can support.
- Using r10k to automate Puppet code deployment.
- Dynamic provisioning strategies providing for rapid infrastructure scaling.
- Designing a scaled architecture for their infrastructure.
- Managing multiple Puppet environments in an effective manner.
- Interacting with the Puppet Master using the REST APIs.
- The underlying message passing protocol that MCollective is built on.
- Scaling the ActiveMQ messaging bus.
- Integrating Puppet with external tools via Hiera backends, report processors, etc.
In this course, we expect students to have an intimate understanding of their site needs and have a reasonable idea of how they can use Puppet to manage their infrastructure. They should be expert sysadmins with an understanding of the operating system and the impact of various tuning techniques.
In this course, we expect students to be experienced systems integrators, and have in-depth understanding of the infrastructure being managed. The course is designed for systems integrators, site architects and DevOps professionals with a solid understanding of configuration management strategies. Understanding the Puppet DSL is useful, but mastery is not required.
Students will be provided with access to a hosted classroom environment.
Please review the technical requirements for your class here.
- Public: $1,700 USD
- Private: Request a Quote
Can't make it to one of our locations? You can now attend some of our Architect classes remotely. Same class, same instructor, same great learning experience.
Find a Class or see the full class schedule below: